This post may contain affiliate links. All that means is if you purchase from one of these links we may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you.
Not too long ago I decided it was important to switch to an aluminum free deodorant. Especially when I began hearing about how aluminum can be linked to certain medical conditions. I tried a half-dozen different brands over the last year. And none of them seemed to work very well, they were expensive, or they smelled really bad.
A little over a month ago I got an email from one of the lovely ladies at Simply Earth. She said she was starting a new business adventure and had created a wonderful all-natural deodorant. Needless to say, she sent a sample for me to try and wanted my honest opinion. At first, I was a little skeptical because of how little success I had had with past brands of aluminum-free deodorant. But I really wanted to help out my girl, Jenny from Simply Earth. So I gave it a shot. I even had Aaron, the pickiest person ever when it comes to deodorant, try it.
Why Should You Switch to Aluminum Free All Natural Deodorant?
One of the biggest reasons anyone would want to switch to an all-natural aluminum-free deodorant is to reduce the toxins you are putting into your body. This is especially important if you have poorly functioning kidneys. Here is a great article that gives you the facts about some common misconceptions about aluminum build up in the body. It’s still a good idea to use more natural beauty products as aluminum build up in the body has been linked to memory issues.
Why Do We Sweat?
Your body was meant to sweat! I know it’s gross, but that’s how it goes. It’s the body’s way of regulating temperature, cleansing bacteria, and eliminating toxins. So it goes without saying that plugging up your pores with antiperspirant is preventing your body from doing its job.
Deodorant vs Antiperspirant
When it comes to dealing with sweat we’ve always had two options: deodorant or antiperspirant. Deodorant kills the bacteria that cause the stink of sweat using fragrance. Antiperspirant temporarily blocks the sweat glands from producing sweat using aluminum.
Deodorant/Antiperspirant Ingredients to Avoid
- Aluminum: Has been shown to cause mutations in cells. This report produced by the EU details the problems with aluminum in beauty products.
- Parabens: Have been known to mimic estrogen in the body. Which can create major issues in both males and females. God knows I don’t need help with hormone imbalance. How bout you?
- Triclosan: This one can also mimic hormones and has been seen to cause a host of other issues both in humans and wildlife.
- Phthalates: These cause endocrine disruption in men and can create early puberty in girls.
- Fragrance: They have been known to cause major hormonal issues and many people are allergic to them.
- Butane & Isobutane: Umm. Yeah, the same thing used to fuel lighters. No thanks!
How to Switch to An All Natural Deodorant Effectively
Switching to an all-natural deodorant is not something you just do and expect it to work right away. After using traditional deodorants and antiperspirants for years, your pores are clogged with gunk gurl! You’ve got to give your body time to purge the evil, as it were.
There is a certain amount of detox period to be expected with switching. This can last anywhere from 1 day to up to 3 weeks. Stick with it though. I noticed that I smelled a little more for about a week and then it was way better.
Why Wildroot is the Best Aluminum Free Deodorant Brand
Like I mentioned above I had tried many different brands of aluminum-free deodorant and was not impressed. They were either overpriced, had really stinky scents, or were really ineffective. And it should be noted I did give each brand at least a month of use.
I was really surprised by how well Wildroot worked! Even Aaron, who is super picky about what deodorant he uses (I gave up picking them out for him) was really impressed. He works a very active job and said that Wildroot kept him smelling fresh and he didn’t sweat like a freak. He and I also loved the fact that it didn’t leave residue on our clothing.
Wildroot Deodorant Features
- Made with all-natural ingredients
- No chemical fragrances. Made with Simply Earth essential oils in the appropriate dilutions.
- Aluminum and paraben-free
- Multiple strengths and scents (as well as unscented) to choose from
- Supporting a small business
If you’re looking for the best option to make the switch, I can’t recommend Wildroot enough.
Check Out These Other Great Articles