Disclaimer: Information in this post is meant to educate and inform. I am not a doctor and if you feel ill you should seek medical attention immediately. Essential oils will not prevent or cure viruses. The essential oil in this recipe is for scent only.
With all the panic about the Covid-19 virus going on, I thought it was important to share some factual advice you can use to prevent the spread of illness. Washing your hands is the best thing you can do to help stop the spread of germs. You can use this simple DIY foaming hand soap recipe to save money. And you won’t even have to go to the store to get the ingredients.
Why Washing Your Hands is More Effective Than Hand Sanitizer
Hand sanitizers won’t protect you as well against the number of germs that soap and water does. Sanitizers may not be as effective when your hands are dirty. They also have a tendency to dry your hands out if used frequently and can sometimes cause damage to the skin due to their alcohol content. Sanitizers should really only be used if you are unable to wash your hands right away.
Misinformation About How to Prevent the Flu
There, of course, is a lot of information being spread on social media these days about how to prevent illness. Here are some examples of inaccurate or just blatant falsehoods you should watch out for. At the time of writing this, there is no known vaccine or cure for Coronavirus. Anyone claiming they have the cure is scamming you.
- Ingesting oregano essential oil will prevent you from getting the flu. FALSE. Besides the fact that you shouldn’t be ingesting essential oils. This is not true. The amount you would have to ingest would be ridiculous. Studies have only shown oregano oil effective in a petri dish outside the body. Further studies need to be done before it can effectively be used in the body. This is just another way for Karen to sell her essential oils to you.
- Alcohol-based hand sanitizer promotes antibiotic-resistant superbugs. Germs are becoming resistant to hand sanitizers. FALSE. Antibiotic-resistant illnesses are created by the overuse of antibiotics only.
- Wear a face mask. Any mask. FALSE. Wearing a face mask is only good when you have symptoms to help prevent you from getting others sick. It can also be used to help you not touch your face while out in public. Only certain medical-grade masks (N95 respirators) will prevent you from breathing in viruses.
- There are many, many more. You should always check your local health department for up-to-date info on how to prevent the spread of germs and stay healthy.
Best Tips to Prevent the Spread of Germs
- WASH YOUR HANDS
- Using the foaming hand soap recipe shared in this article is great, but you have to remember to wash your hands for at least 20 seconds and do it thoroughly.
- If you notice you have symptoms of illness, stay home. Wear a mask to prevent spreading germs to others. Socially isolate yourself if possible.
- Cover your mouth with a tissue when you sneeze or cough and throw away. Or use your elbow.
- Use alcohol-based hand sanitizer when in public and you can’t wash your hands.
- Clean common areas in your home with bleach or a bleach alternative cleaner regularly.
DIY Foaming Hand Soap
- foaming hand soap dispenser
- castile soap
- distilled water
- essential oils for scent
- Fill foaming hand soap dispenser 1/3 of the way full with castile soap.
- Add favorite essential oil to scent (Orange, lemon, eucalyptus, or tea tree are my favorites). Swirl to mix well.
- Add distilled water slowly to fill the rest of the bottle. Make sure to leave enough room for the pump to displace some liquid.
- To make liquid soap omit the water and fill the bottle with the castile soap.