This post may contain affiliate links. All that means is if you purchase from one of these links we may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you.
Are you finding congestion is making it hard to breathe this cold season? Do you want a simple all-natural way to get relief and start breathing again right away? This DIY Shower Steamers recipe is your solution.
Using my walkthrough and video you can use your Simply Earth essential oils to make these shower steamers quickly and easily. And you can get back to breathing comfortably again in no time! This recipe is all-natural, safe to use, and effective at relieving congestion. Plus, it smells amazing!
What is a Shower Steamer?
A shower steamer is basically what would happen if vapor rub and a bath bomb had a baby. It’s another great way you can use essential oils to help relieve the stuffy nose symptoms of a cold. They are tabs mostly comprised of baking soda that melt in your shower and release aromatherapy to help you breathe. The Eucalyptus in this recipe acts as an expectorant and loosens up any mucus to open up the nasal passages.
How to Make DIY Shower Steamers
The recipe and method I’m sharing is from the November Simply Earth Recipe box. I always trust their recipes to be safe and effective. They are made by Certified Aromatherapists.
Shower Steamer Ingredients
- 1/2C Baking Soda
- 1Tbsp Coconut Oil (solid)
- 1Tbsp Lavender Buds
- 5 drops Simply Earth Eucalyptus Oil
- 5 drops Simply Earth Lime Oil
- 1 Silicone mold (small squares preferable)
Instructions for Making Shower Steamers
1) First melt the coconut oil in a double boiler or microwave (on 10-second increments).
2) Add baking soda and lavender buds and mix until crumbly.
3) Get silicone mold and pour the mixture into. Press firmly and fill completely.
4) Let sit somewhere undisturbed for 24 hours. And then you can unmold and use it!
How Do You Use a Shower Steamer?
It’s actually quite simple. To use your DIY shower steamers:
- Get the shower nice and hot so it is good and steamy in your bathroom.
- Place the shower steamer on the floor of your shower. Not in the direct stream of your water.
- The water needs to hit the steamer occasionally to get the best release of vapors.
- Breathe in deeply
- Word of warning: Be careful as this steamer does contain coconut oil so there is going to be some slipping risk. That is why I recommend putting in the front of your shower where you are less likely to step.
Do Shower Steamers Work?
My husband had a really bad stuffy nose for over 2 weeks. I finally decided to try this recipe from Simply Earth. He said within minutes of using it his sinuses were clear and he was able to breathe easier. Even after a few hours, he said his breathing was much better. Aaron is a hard one to impress. So I’m going to call this one a win!
Essential Oil Company I Trust
I have absolutely loved learning about essential oils and the great work Simply Earth does. I have been nothing but pleased with their products and the company overall. And I know you will be too.
I hope you enjoyed this tutorial about how to make your own shower melts. And as always if you’d like to discover more great recipes to use with Simply Earth essential oils check out our affiliate link. If you use the code MIHFREE you can get a $20 coupon to use on your second order when you subscribe to their monthly box.
Products mentioned in this article have not been evaluated by the FDA. These products and information on this page are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. This website is not a substitute for professional care. Always consult your medical doctor regarding your medical care. Never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website.
If You Like This Post You Might Like These Too!