This post may contain affiliate links. All that means is if you purchase from one of these links we may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you.
Which Should You Choose? Organic Produce Delivery or CSAs?
If someone is looking to transition to healthier food they usually opt to switch to organic. A really good first step is to start with produce. And one of the best ways to buy organic produce is from local options like a CSA (community supported agriculture) box, farmer’s market, co-op, or organic produce delivery. Two of these are real stand-outs for convenience: a CSA box and organic produce delivery. But which one is better?
What is a Farm Produce Box Delivery?
There are many options out there to get organic food delivered to your home. Some companies even deliver ingredients for meals that are specially curated for you. An organic farm box delivery comes in two forms: local farm delivery and a larger company type (like Full Circle) that uses multiple local farms for produce and delivers it to you. Sometimes if you live further away from a larger populated area you will be unable to get the larger company type delivery. This is when looking for a more local farm that delivers is ideal.
Pros of a Farm Box Delivery
- You can tailor it to your family size and budget
- Can order when you want and skip weeks or months
- Supports a local farm
- Is reasonably priced for organic food
- You know where your food is from and how fresh it is
- Delivered to your home
- You can choose a curated box or your own selections
- Available in many areas
Cons of a Farm Box Delivery
- A little pricier than the grocery store
- Doesn’t always have the selection you want
- Harder to determine how much
you‘re getting until it arrives
- Bigger companies don’t always service your area
What is a CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) Box?
A CSA is a share that you can buy in a local farm’s yearly crop. It’s kind of like an investment in the farm. You pay a certain amount of money prior to that year’s season or sometimes volunteer work and then you receive a weekly box or seasonal produce. And there are specific pick up points set up for you to get your share. Sometimes these pick up points are at local farmer’s markets.
Pros of a CSA Box
- Supporting a local farm
- Usually organic
- Super fresh local produce
- Get to know your local farmer
- Eating in season
Cons of a CSA Box
- Can be a large upfront cost
- You have to pick up the boxes from designated pick up points
- Doesn’t allow you to customize what you get (you get whatever is available on the farm that week)
- Not always available for people who live in the big city
- Can end up wasting food you don’t like or have too much of
Choosing What Organic Produce Option is Best For You
For us choosing a produce delivery box was a no-brainer. We’re all about convenience. And if we can make our diets healthier and have food delivered, we’ll do it! For you, something else may be your goal. Like eating more locally and in
When it comes down to it, it’s really about what your goals are when it comes to putting healthier food in your fridge. Look over the pro and cons of each option and make your decision from there. At the end of the day, you are making an effort to eat better and that’s always a good choice!
Like this post? You might like these too!